Treo deal, get it while it's...there.  

Posted by Roddykat in ,

Need a new cellphone? Would you like the convenience of a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) with the ability to make phone calls? Are you on Verizon Wireless? Well, if the answers to all of these questions are no, then you may be interested in this "deal".

Treo Store: Promotions: Save $100 on Treo 700 series smartphones with Verizon Wireless service

Basically, you should already know that if you bought a cellphone with no plan you will pay more than if you bought it with a plan. That's because whoever you use for a carrier subsidises the cost, I.E, you get a plan through them, they take a little something off the price of the phone. Incidently, stay away from those "free phones" they off with a plan. They are usually discontinued (old) models. If you don't care for anything other than the ability to make a call, run with it. Anywho, depending on the phone you want, you'll get anywhere from $50 to $100 of it, usually with a one to two year plan activation of course.

Now, if you take that and tack the deal above, it kind of makes for a good thing. A Treo 700, W for Windows Mobile 5 based or P for Palm based OS, sans plan is $500 or more. One with a plan, preferably 2 year, is $400 to $500. Both depending on where you get them. With the above, if you get the phone through Verizon (assuming on or offline) and get their Broadband access data plan (EVDO), you can get $100 from a mail in rebate from now until September 10th. This bring the price of the phone, minus plan, to $299. Not bad. Interested, click the link above and click learn more next to either version.

Treo's are hot amongst certain crowds, and with any popular (read: well sold) phone, the price cuts come after a good milking run. The Razr for example. In this case, I have been hearing lately of new Treo's coming out near the end of this year. In fact, there have been sighting of one in the wild for Sprint users. Coincidence, I think not.

I have a theory. The only time the price goes down or there is a deal like this is when a new line or version of a phone, computer, or whatever is about to come about and a company is trying to grab a little more dough. Such is, possibly, the case with this deal. This is not necessarily a bad thing for the consumer. Except for if you are like me and want to see if the new stuff will add or bump up anything that I might want. At the same time, the new stuff will have a higher tag and I might be better off going with this deal should I choose to get something. There is the rub. The rebate above is not a price cut. There will be one soon, I'm sure, but this rebate takes more off of the price than whatever price cut will. So, you the choice, deal or no deal. Deal, and have a good popular product that is presumably about to be upgraded or wait, possibly paying more, and unless you know for a fact something new is coming soon, risking missing a good deal. Computers are like that every year to18 months or so.

Back to the point, there is a deal. Not a bad product to have for 2 years if you like it. Sure, there is probably something new around the corner but, 2 years is not that long if you're satisfied. If you want to check the Treo out or any phone, go to Phonescoop.com. This is a great site for cellphone news and to review phones, old new, and upcoming. Broken down by company, phone, and/or carrier. And you can also go to Cnet.com for their reviews.

This entry was posted on August 24, 2006 at Thursday, August 24, 2006 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 full and speaking on it

I love my treo, I don't know what I would do without it!

August 24, 2006 at 12:06 PM

I bought my cellphone off the rack. And I only put 20 bucks on it every 3 months. I hate talking on the phone at home, so talking away from home is a no-no. I only have the phone for emergency use.

My point is, I am not up on cellphone technology. I think I have a couple of games on my phone, but that's it...lol

August 27, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Post a Comment