Sample Moment inspirations  

Posted by Roddykat in ,

Outside of lyrics and flow, what I love about Hip Hop (and some Rap) is the music. Hip Hop was pretty much built on the foundation of sampled music. It has grown (somewhat) from that, but it still holds on to that foundation quite closely. Hell, some people have made their so called "fame" from "sampling" popular songs and calling it theirs. All they did was take a popular song, loop it and call it production, which is totally BULLSHIT and yet people praise their stupid asses for it. YEA, PUFFY, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU!

(*Ahem*) As I said, sampling is a Hip Hop staple. Now, what I really love is that every now and then, I would come across the original song that was sampled. I still look for them so that I can add them to my collection. I love it because if you think about it, if you like the beat of a song that has a sample of another song, why would you not like the original? Ok, I could probably answer that myself, but I choose not to. It's a flimsy reason anyway. Right, so about a year or two ago, I came across a huge list of songs that had been sampled and for them most part, I have found most of them. Some are still hard to find because either whoever used them chopped them up to unrecognizable lengths, the liner notes of the album aren't clear or even mention it (Madonna - "Justify my Love" for example), or it came out before the Biz Markie incident.

So, when after I started blogging (which reminds me of something*), I figure I could do a little something something to spread the word on the original sampled material. That is where the Sample Moment posts came from. I would LOVE to do it in audio form, but I would also love NOT to get sued for doing so. But who knows, I may be able to cobble something together one day and put it out. We'll see. For the time being, check out this post from the Soulcrates blog ran by GrantLove (no relation):

SOULCRATES...your home for SOUL: SOUL SAMPLES II

The post is from earlier this year and If I didn't know any better, I'd say that he'd found the same list or been in my hard drive. :) Make sure you click the link at the bottom of the post to listen to the songs. I guarantee that you will recognize more than half the list off the bat. LOVE IT!

Peace

* - This reminded me of the fact that as of this past October, I have been blogging for a year now. It totally slipped my mind. It's a bit late to do something about that, but maybe for my 100th post. What is it with 100 being a milestone for blogging anyway? What is this, TV?


Technorati Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on November 7, 2006 at Tuesday, November 07, 2006 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 full and speaking on it

Happy Bloggiversary!!!!!!!

November 8, 2006 at 8:58 AM

Post a Comment