Of passings and releases  

Posted by Roddykat in , ,

(This kinda sucks because "something" caused me to lose this post the first time around. That'll teach me to save, I guess. This might seemed phoned in as a result)

Song of the Moment:
I Wish - Carl Thomas


First things first, A Rock pioneer and founding father, Bo Diddly, has passed away on June 2nd. I was never really up on his pedigree, but I do know that the originator of what is known as the "Bo Diddly beat" has had his style bitten umpteenth amounts of time since the 50s & 60s (That's 1950s & 1960s for those not trying to grasp it). If there was a song with his name in it, it was either by him, about him, or both. Even if you don't know his music, you may have also seen one of his cameos in movies like Trading Places. You know of him even if you don't know him. :) He will be missed.


Now, we come to the new release portion of the post. There were a couple of albums that came out this past Tuesday that caught my fancy enough to grab them. And by caught my fancy I mean that I heard they were coming out and bought them without hearing anything from the artists. I don't do it often, but often enough when it feels right. That could be something for another time but right now, let's do this. The albums in question are: Wayman Tisdale's "Rebound" and Lalah Hathaway's "Self Portrait". I'm especially excited for Lalah's album becuase while it hasn't been that long since her last album, it's been too long.


Wayman Tisdale is a former NBA Basketball player turned Jazz artist whom I'd say makes a pretty good Bass player for a B-baller. I caught wind of him during his 1st outing, 1995's "Power Forward", which spent pleny of time in rotation (sometimes even now) when it came out. He hasn't disappionted me yet, so I don't expect any different for this his 7th album. Below is one of my favorite songs from his Wayman's first album. Peep it.

Circumstance


Now for miss Hathaway. If that name sounds familiar, it might be because you may have heard of her father, Soul great Donnie Hathaway, whose voice has been imitated a few times here and there (*cough* Donnie, Kenny Latimore *cough*). Lalah, however, is NOT her father, and is very distinctive and beautiful in her own sound. Make no mistake, though. She is her father daugther in that she is a great artist with a smoky hot voice. I first came across her back in 1990 with the first single "Somethin'" from her debut self titled album, "Lalah Hathaway". Her releases since then have been staggered, particularly between the 2nd and 3rd joints, but always a treat. Again, I don't expect her latest to disappoint in the least. I'll know once I get to peep this and Wayman out, though. One note: in the liner notes of her new album, Lalah notes that "pitch is the new black". Sounds like a shot at all of the "studio vocalists" running around nowadays. I LIKE IT! :) By the way, I call myself a fan, yet haven't checked out her blog in quite some time. For shame, but you can check it out yourself. Below, you will find one of my favorite songs from Lalah's first album. Give it a listen.

I'm Coming Back


Once I get around to listening the these two albums, maybe I'll do another quick review. I'm lazy and got a long work week ahead, so don't hold your breath. In the meantime, you may have noticed the little music players behind the last couple paragraphs. They are from a site called Muzicons.com. you can put up song to your blog pretty easy with it. All you do is click on an icon, upload a song, choose the look and the color and copy and paste the code it spits out on the right side into your blog or a post. Pretty easy. Legality is not certain, but considering the other sites that are around, it might be here a minute. Looks like a Russian operation anyway, if it matters. Try it out if you want.

That said, Peace!

This entry was posted on June 5, 2008 at Thursday, June 05, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 full and speaking on it

*swooning* @ your song of the moment

June 5, 2008 at 11:19 PM

like te Hathaway joint
talent runs in that family i see

June 6, 2008 at 2:29 AM

That song brings back a memory. Great music selections.

Love!

June 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Post a Comment