Where are they now?  

Posted by Roddykat in ,

     Because I had to do it. I remember making VHS tapes full of videos (I still have them, too) to watch when I get nostalgic. Rummaging through music video sights lately kinda make me want to pull a couple of them out.     But to the point of this. I was going through the Singingfool.com and Yahoo Music (yea, I’m peeved but they are a good source of videos) sites checking out some stuff when I came across something. Does anyone remember the group, The Gyrls? I didn't think so. Well here's the short skinny.     They were a 4 girl group (fancy that) that had an album, "Love me or leave me"(Capitol) back in 1988. They were produced by Al B. Sure (yea, thought that would get you), so you know what the sound was like. And before I forget, they did background for him during that time. I believe you could see them in the back of the video for "Off on your own (girl)" in the concert part. The only other thing I can say about them is that a couple of them came from South Carolina. Columbia, to be exact. I don't recall them ever claiming that either, but oh well. Needless to say they aren't around anymore but two of them, Terri and Monica went on to write and do background for others while doing some stuff themselves. In 1993, they came out with the album, "Systa". The album was actually quite good and if you can find a copy, do so. Production came from sources like the rapper Grand Puba to Bryce Wilson, of Groove Theory fame (shouldn't have let Amel go, fool) Songs of note were, "Uh-huh" and "Intentions" both being singles. I'm more partial to the end of the album with the slow songs, "When the tables turn" and "The way you make me feel", the latter of which had that trademark sound of the time. When you hear it, you will know what i'm talking about. The album could possibly still hold up today's (lack of) standards. I'll have to pull it out and see. I have no idea what these ladies are doing now, but I am curious. Looking back at this post, I seem to have found material for future "Where Are They Nows".

This entry was posted on February 8, 2006 at Wednesday, February 08, 2006 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 full and speaking on it

You forgot the Girls "Its Over!" Also, to add to your collection of where are they now...Zhane! In the words of Arsenio Hall, things that make you go hmmmmm!

February 8, 2006 at 10:02 PM

Post a Comment