Sample Moment #2  

Posted by Roddykat in ,

Yep, it's been a while,
but you'll forgive me. I have lot's of material, but i'm lazy. Which I
guess that's why i'm going to make this one easy on everyone (read:
me). But all is not lost, I am generous. This time, i'm going to give
you 2 moments in one and they are both easy so let's get into it...

"You've been waitin' and debatin'
For oh so long,
Just starvin like Marvin for a
"SAMPLE MOMENT


If you're like me with this, you know your favorite Rap/Hip Hop song is probably comprised of a sample or two. Also, you would love to know what they are because, in a lot of cases, the source material is as good or better than the song using it. This is what Sample Moment is about. Diggin' into the song to find what made it the hotness you know it as. As time goes by, I may get alittle more in depth with it, but for now, let's just find these gems, shall we?

Now, the first moment had Ashanti all 'Foolish' and Musiq thinking 'Ifiwouldknew' (I liked the original, 'Girl Next Door' that this was the remix for), but where it is really notable is in the words:

"I, Poppa, Freaks all the the Honies..."

Need I go on? Didn't think so. Yep, the groundwork to one version of Biggie's(R.I.P) 'One More Chance' comes from none other than 'Stay with Me' from the group Debarge's 1983 album, 'In a Special Way'. If the title sounds familiar it should because it was also a hit back in the day (along with a few others on that album), but we'll save that for later. I guess I should note that rapper Big L (R.I.P) used it once, and Funkmaster Flex used it twice among others. I'm kind going for the more popular uses. Yea, it easy and cheap, but that hasn't stopped them from using it now, has it?

Alright, next on the list is a more recent than you think. I shouldn't tell you the name of the "offending song" because it would totally give it away (YEEAAAHHH!), but there is no way around it. So let me run it like this. The year, 2002. The artist, Michael Sterling. He came out with an album called 'Right Now' and on this album there was a song that became a MEGA hit two years later in the hands of someone who already had a handful at the time he "crafted" (very loosely said) the song in question. Hell, it was said on the beginning of the song,"We had to do it again. Had to do it." and I don't think they were talking about the people featured on the song, but who knows. Alright, if you don't know what i'm talking about, then apparently you've been under a rock for the past couple of years. Either that or my clues are terrible. Most of you are already replaying the song in your heads, so without further ado we have: Ursher(hey, that how he said it)... Lil Jon... Ludacris!!
in 2004's SMAASH hit, 'Lover's and Friends'from Lil Jon's 'Crunk Juice' album. Originally done, as I said, by Michael Sterling. Lil Jon took almost everything off of the original song except for the vocals and I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the ones that were used! Believe it.

Now I wish I could do this spot as a podcast because I would love to play some of the original stuff I come across as a comparison to the sample version. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money for licensing, but there may be a way to do this in a way that I won't get sued for. Stay tuned for that. Hope you've enjoyed this as much as I have. Questions, comments, suggestions, holla at me or put them out here on the comments. Incidently, you can hear a snippet of Micheal Sterling's version from the link on his name or here.

This entry was posted on June 25, 2006 at Sunday, June 25, 2006 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 full and speaking on it

Post a Comment