Attention all shoppers, Pt 2 - Geek bearing gift guides  

Posted by Roddykat in , , , ,

Twas the week five days before Christmas
and all through the town.
People are scrambling for gifts,
and knocking others down.

Ok, so that wasn't my best rendition, but you get the point. It's crunch time, and i'm here to help. If you've gotten your shopping done, Hoorah! If not, join the club. Anyway, when I first started blogging last year, I put out a similar post on the different Holiday gift guides on the web, so this could be an annual event. And since I know time's precious (and I have to go to work in a few), let's get it going.

First up: For the tech inclined (like me)

CNET does a gift guide every year. It's broken down all nice and neat into categories. There's even video and podcasts to go all with it. Some of he videos were from their recent Holiday Helpdesk that was streamed a couple of weeks back. Should have told you about it then.


Holiday Gift Guide 2006 - CNET.com


Engadget - Engadget's Holiday Gift Guide! - Engadget

I love this site, in general. If you are a gadget lover, this is the place for news. Their guide is broken down by person (Mom, Dad, Him, Her, etc). Nicely done.

DL.TV - Episode 114: Our first annual Holiday Shopping Guide! - DL.TV

DL.TV is a web video show hosted by two former Tech TV hosts. Great show in general. Good stuff.

Also check the Gadgettes podcast, They drop names of gadgets like it's going out of style. They even did a non denominational holiday gift podcast.


For the gamers in the house (like me)

1up.com - 2006 Videogame Gift Guide from 1UP.com

Great gaming site (of which I have a blog page on). Their guide is broken down by platform (PS2, Xbox, etc).

Gamespot.com - GameSpot Holiday Gift Guide - Gifts for Gamers

Another great site. Part of the CNET Networks (redundant I know). Their guide is also broken up by platform.



For the sexually inclined (yea me too)

SFGate.com (the online side of the San Fransisco Chronicle - Sexy Holiday Shopping Guide

Admittedly, I didn't spend much time on this one as I should have.

Author, columnist, geek, machinist, (audio, video, and text) blogger Violet Blue has some suggestions on what to put under the tree... or anywhere else you want to stick something. Hopefully, I hope to add more to this section later.

*UPDATE*

I found this link from a couple of weeks back. It has links to other sex themed holiday guides (useful year round). check out: Viviane's Sex Carnival: Gift guides roundup.


For the music lovers (note the theme here people) -
Admitted, this is another section I didn't spend much time but still are worth checking out.

MP3.com - MP3.com Holiday Gift Guide - CDs, Music Downloads, and Accessories
Also a part of the CNET family. good site laid out by genre and has a section for MP3 playing hardware (probably Ipods, but I could be wrong).


Allmusic.com - allmusic ((( 2006 Holiday Buying Guide )))

Music site where I link to quite often when I do music related posts (which I'm past due on). Guide done by genre, of course. I think MP3.com borrowed reviews and such from Allmusic.com. A lot of places do.


For the TV lovers
(not so much me)

TV.com - TV.com Holiday Gift Guide - DVDs, Sountracks and Electronics

If it's not painfully obvious what this site is about, then allow me to redirect you to another site. Anyway, it's another CNET property. Usually hit them up for show recaps and whatnot.


And (for now), there you have it. I may stick in one or two others should I come across anything in the next day or two. Hopefully, this will give you some ideas to go off from. If not, you are on your own.

Happy Holidays!

This entry was posted on December 20, 2006 at Wednesday, December 20, 2006 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 full and speaking on it

Post a Comment