Dun Dun DUUNNN!  

Posted by Roddykat in , ,

Faster than a rolling 'O'!
Stronger than silent 'E'!
Able to capital 'T' in a single bound!
it's a word, it's a plan...it's LETTERMAN! (Dun Dun DUUUNNNN)*

If those words mean nothing to you, you have no childhood (or were born in the '80's. Same thing.). :)

This was the intro to one of my favorite segments of the 70's TV show The Electric Company(one of my favorite shows), The Adventures of Letterman. No, it has nothing to do with the late night talk show host. It was the Electric Company equivalent of Superman (but way cooler). There were about 60 done during the course of EC's run. I loved it. In it, the evil Spellbinder (voiced by Zero Mostel) ruins someone's day by gets his kicks by changing the word associated with whatever the event of the time would be with his magic wand. Our hero, Letterman (voiced by Gene Wilder), would run in, (most times) pull the letter(s) off of his Varsity Sweater, change the messed up word, and save the day. All while being narrated by Joan Rivers.

Why do I bring this up? The nostalgia bug bit me, of course. So I present to you a couple of clips of this wonderful piece of history courtesy of Youtube. By the way, you know this was done in the seventies when you listen to the opening music. Pure funk, baby. Can you dig it?


In the Beginning (the origin story, if you will)


The Roar of Rage


A Rolling Bun Gathers No Seeds



If you want to see more of this (of course you do), head on over to the usual spot. They need to put them all on DVD. I'd buy it. And yes, I know there is area couple of Best of Electric Company sets out, it's not all of the shows.

This entry was posted on August 15, 2008 at Friday, August 15, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 full and speaking on it

I gotta wait til I get home to check the links, but the layout is dope as hell man.

August 15, 2008 at 7:08 AM

before my time im afraid.lol
and u were never forsaken

August 17, 2008 at 1:49 AM

HEY YOU GUYYYYYYS!

Now you're bloggin fam!

Good ish

e.

August 18, 2008 at 4:30 AM

That was so the bomb! I miss all those good shows. Especially the old Sesame Street. I mean the old Sesame Street.

I'm a little partial to School House Rock though.

*singing* conjunction junction what's your function.

August 18, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Post a Comment