Song of the Moment: Explained!  

Posted by Roddykat in , ,

If you've been around these parts for a minute, you will have noticed from time to time my mentions of Songs of the Moment (SotM). Chances are, you probably haven't so, you probably haven't. I used to do it a reasonable amount on here, but just really haven't. Actually, I've pretty much taken up that task on other platforms. So, since I have a sec, I will explain it to you anyway if I hadn't already.

So, a Song of the Moment is that song that you might hear on the radio that sticks with you for a while and won't go away(unless you force it, because it stays with you my friend, and if you*....um, yeah). Anyway, it could be that song that someone happens to be humming and it attaches to you like a leech. Could be the song you woke up singing. Could be the little ditty in the shower that sticks around afterward. You get the point, I think. For me, it's a combination of those things, plus a a couple of others. I have any number of songs running through my head at any given moment. There are some that stick around for sometimes days, or for 30 seconds or so. Sometimes, a song will pop up in the midst of a conversation with someone. Sometimes, I'm the one the that's humming the songs that other people catch on to subliminally (I know I'm not the only one, but it feels special to me). Sometimes, you gotta do right, for you to be happy...

A lot times, a Song of the Moment has nothing to do with how I'm currently feeling or what I'm writing about. It's not too often, at least to my knowledge, that there is a correlation, but it can and does happen. I don't play the radio in my car as I have an MP3 player, so any song that I'm listening to there was meant to be played. And I thought I would have some kind of hard and fast rules about what constitutes a Song of the Moment candidate, but outside what I've already said, there isn't much else. The only thing I'd make a rule to is the fact the song has to stick your head for a reasonable amount of time. Obvious, you think of a song and 30 seconds later it's gone, while that's is truly a song of the moment, it doesn't qualify. I guess if you tack on the fact that if you are on to a song that you hold on to until you could foresee ably write it down somewhere, that could qualify.

The reason I don't actually write down (or post) every time I have one of these moments, is because I'd be here (or somewhere) every other minute or so. There was, a time where I was going to write down every song that stuck in my head to see if there was some hidden correlation to how I was feeling at the moment. I quickly realized that was a fools' errand. :) Hell, if I typed every song I thought about during the typing of this post (including the ones I've alluded to), I'd never finish it. It's like that sometimes.

Anyway, that explains that. If you come across any past or future posts that bear the mark of Song of the Moment, stand proud to know that mark of....excellence(?) means. I mean, outside of the obvious meaning, anyway. So without further ado:

Song of the Moment
Cherish the Day - Sade

And since you probably saw this one coming, I have a question for you. What is your song of the moment? You think there is any meaning to it, or did it randomly pop into your head and you couldn't help yourself from singing it? Inquiring minds, want to know.

Incidently, I would have linked to older Song of the Moment posts, but I apparently don't have them tagged, and I'm sleepy right now. Maybe I'll go back and do that sometimes. Maybe.

(edit) SotM is not the same as np (Now Playing) because I'm not normally actually playing the song that becomes a SotM. Don't know why I felt compelled to add this. I should NOT be writing while I'm sleepy.


* - Bonus: if you know where that line came from. What's the bonus:? Satisfaction (I got the right tactics) that you are one step closer to being like the madness of my method. :) Lucky you. And if you need 'em, i got crazy prophylactics.

This entry was posted on May 15, 2008 at Thursday, May 15, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 full and speaking on it

sotm:
Place Where You Belong-Shai

dont know where the line is from
enlighten me

May 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM

you don't mind if i crosspost this do you, because i go through this every day?

my song of the moment is "Troubled Girl" by Karen Ramirez which is a tune that's out of the UK and came out of 1995 that reminded me of one of my best friends who I had a conversation with just last night - telling me how her life was a little rough and could only get better. (okay, i'll stop typing now...)

May 15, 2008 at 7:18 AM
Anonymous  

Bonita Applebum..A Tribe Called Quest..that was too easy..

June 1, 2008 at 12:27 AM

SotM is Not gon cry by Mary J. Dont know why but its been in my head for the past 3 hrs...

June 1, 2008 at 2:13 AM

Post a Comment